Preparing for the Competition
A checklist of what to bring on the competition day.
- Your identification document (IC/Passport).
- A print out of your Confirmation Slip*. Please take note we cannot register you without the slip, and any print-outs on the day will incur a RM30 fee.
Click HERE to see how the confirmation slips look like.
- Two (2) photocopies of the music score you are playing, please ensure your name and age group are written clearly on top of it. This music score will be submitted to the judges.
Click HERE for reference.
- Water bottles. As a green campus, Sunway University strongly discourages the use of single-use plastic, hence there are plenty of dispensers around for you to refill.
- A cardigan or light jacket in case you feel cold, and If it helps you, hand-warmers/mitten/gloves to keep your hands warm!
*Instruction on how to retrieve your confirmation slip:
Confirmation slips are AUTO GENERATED to your registered email address. They would have been sent out once your order was approved. You will have received an email from “Competition Registration” [email protected], with the subject: Registration #_. A .zip file is attached to this email which containing your Confirmation Slip. Alternatively, please search “Competition Registration” [email protected] in your mailbox to retrieve it.
You only need to arrive no later than 30 minutes before the start time of your session.
E.g. if your session starts at 2:00pm, you only need to register by 1:30pm
There will be TWO registration queues, and they are labelled as JC1 and JC2, please queue according to where you will be competing.
For registration, you will need to present:
- Confirmation slip
- IC/Birth Cert, any ID document (this can be a photocopy, or a soft copy on your device).
- TWO (2) photocopies of the music you are performing, with your name and category written clearly on top of it.
We will be giving to you:
- The participant’s badge.
(Please wear this immediately and keep it on at all times, this gives you access to all the classes for the day you are competing)
- A Complimentary Day Pass, this can be used by the parent or teacher, or any other person accompanying the participant.
(This is a wrist-tag, please wear it immediately and keep it on at all times. Our crew has the right to deny entry to those without a valid wrist-tag.)
*For Online Submission Participants ONLY
- Collect your preliminary round certificate and medal.
Unless you have informed us in advance that you would like it to be couriered to you, these will be available for pickup upon registration.
Entry to the Competition
Entry Pass for Observers.
This is priced at RM30 each (per day), if you wish to attend the second day as well, you can purchase a two-day package at RM50. Any persons wishing to observe the competition will have to purchase an entry pass, and this includes and is not limited to children, teachers, parents, page-turners.
Entry for Participants
Participants are given free entry to the competition FOR BOTH DAYS. If you would like to observe the competition on the day you are not competing, please bring a copy of your CONFIRMATION SLIP and collect a special pass from the Registration Counter.
Entry for Collaborative Pianists (Strings Participants only)
Pre-registered* collaborative pianists will be given a free pass. The accompanist has to collect this from the Registration Counter. Accompanists which are not on the pre-registered list will have to purchase an entry pass.
*The name of the accompanists was requested on the registration form upon sign-up, if you are unsure if you have registered your accompanist, you can check from the first email, which contained your Order Number.
There will be digital pianos available for warm up purposes. These are available on a first come first served basis. Please be considerate to others and only use it briefly. Please bring your own wired Ear/Headphones – If you are not using one, then please only warm-up silently (with the sound off). Strings participants, if you would like to warm-up, you may make use of the hallways outside the registration area.
During the Competition
Before the session
Participants need to be in the competition room and report to the crew 10 minutes before the start of your session (E.g. if your Session starts at 10am, please be at the competition room by 9:50am.) with your Confirmation Slip. The QR on your Confirmation Slip is required to take your attendance, and our crew will seat you according to the order of performance.
During the session
Please remain in your designated seat for the entire session. When it is your turn to perform, the emcee will announce your name, and our crew will usher you on the stage for your performance. When you are finished, please return to your designated seat.
After the session
You may leave the hall after the end of your session, and the prize-giving will take place as per the timing listed on the schedule. To facilitate the next session and to prevent crowding, our crew will need clear the hall after each session.
The comment sheets from the jury is sent automatically to the email you have entered during registration (the same one which your confirmation slip is sent to). These are automated and will be sent out once your session is completed. Sometimes, this gets bounced to your spam/junk folders, so if you don’t see it in your inbox, please search your mailbox for emails from ‘Competition System’ – [email protected].
Final Round Prizes
Prizes at the Final Round are awarded on a point system and can be withheld subject to the juries decision. Please take note that individual marks are not released.
- First Prize – Top scoring participant with a minimum of 90 points.
- Second Prize – Second highest scoring participant with a minimum of 85 points.
- Third Prize – Third highest scoring participant with a minimum of 85 points.
- Honorable Mention – At the discretion of the Jury Panel
- Finalists’ Medal – Participants who did not meet the minimum points for prizes.
Trophies & Certificates
Each participant receives a Finalist Certificate, and prize-winners will receive a First/Second/Third Prize Trophy, a Honourable Mention Plaque or a Finalists’ Medal.
Award Certificates (First, Second, Third Prize or Honourable Mention) will only be issued digitally. These are sent to the email you have entered during registration (the same one which your confirmation slip is sent to). If you wish to have a print-out of the Award Certificate, this can be made available and couriered to you, at your expense. You can read about the Digital Certs HERE.
Special Prizes for the Final Round.*
- The Patron Prize – A Music Festival in France
- Scholarship from Malaysian Institute of Arts (MIA)
- The Khusus Prize
- The Yap and Suzie Memorial Prize
- Masterclass Prize
Masterclass Prize are awarded to 1st – 3rd Prize winners from all categories and age groups.
- Most Promising Pianist / Violinist
- Elite Performance Prizes
- Gift Vouchers sponsored by Deciso
- Gift Vouchers sponsored by Graceful Piano Sdn Bhd
*Terms & Conditions applies.
Please make yourself familiar with the special prizes and the terms and conditions offered at the final round. Please take note that no exceptions will be made to accommodate any extension requests.
For more information on the special prizes, please refer to the links below.
For participants requiring pedal extensions, you are advised to bring your own to ensure you are comfortable with the device. Our piano sponsor has very kindly provided a pedal extension and you are welcomed to make use of this, but we will not be held responsible in any way if they don’t work the way you are used to. Please take note that you are responsible for installing/removing the device, our crew will not be able to help with this.
Please click the link below for the complete list Rules and Regulations of the Euroasia Strings Competition & Malaysian Piano Competition.